Holding an Afternoon Tea is a fun way to raise essential funds for Bethany Christian Trust. You can host a fancy event, or just have some friends around the kitchen table – wherever suits! We will provide different tips and tricks, and support you along the way.
Why plan an afternoon tea?
At Bethany, we believe that something as small as a wee cup of tea can be used to make a big impact. That’s why we’re encouraging our supporters to host their own Afternoon Tea to raise awareness and help us end homelessness in Scotland.
How do I hold an afternoon tea?
Your Afternoon Tea can be wherever you like – in a church hall, your work canteen or your own home! Guests can pay a donation as they enter or leave, and all funds raised at your Afternoon Tea will go directly towards funding our essential services.
- Contact us – we’ll help you with different fundraising tips and tricks, and materials.
- Pick a date and a venue.
- Invite your friends or make a Facebook Event.
- Get baking!
- Have a great time with friends, catching up over a cup of tea and some cake.
One of our volunteers, Jean, has been hosting Afternoon Teas for the past few years to support Bethany. She invites friends round once a month to sit around the table, catch up and share lovely food together. Here are her top tips…
Top tips for hosting an afternoon tea
- If you have a tiered cake stand use it as your table centrepiece. If not, use your best crockery to give your table the WOW factor.
- Make the table look as attractive and inviting as possible, using a tablecloth and napkins.
- An afternoon tea spread should consist of a choice of sandwiches using white and brown bread. Prepare fillings in advance and make sandwiches just before your guests arrive to avoid the dreaded soggie sarnie!
- Fresh scones should be served with jam and whipped cream and can be served warm, if desired. Delicious!
- Offer a selection of 3 or 4 individual small cake portions.
- Be well organised and keep it simple.
How to boost fundraising for Bethany?
There are many ways in which you can raise money through hosting your Afternoon Tea.
Ask guests to kindly pay a donation as they enter / leave, or we can send you some individual gift aid forms. To boost your fundraising on the day, you could hold a ‘Bake Off’ Competition or even a Silent Auction!
Get in touch if you have any questions about how to set up your event or would like more information.